Monday, March 23, 2009

Binky Weaning

So...as you all know, Carson turned two just over a month ago. When I had Gabby, I swore I would never let her have a pacifier because I didn't want her getting hooked on it and then the worries of having to wean from it. While we were still in the hospital, I was having trouble getting her to calm down one night and my nurse suggested I use a pacifier. Reluctantly, I gave in and who wouldn't at 3 in the morning! I would have done almost anything. Well, long story short, I had Gabby weaned off by 4 months and was so proud of myself! No problems, she didn't even miss it.
Then Mr. Carson came along. Of course, I started out letting him have it because I knew the plan, have your binky 4 months and then it's gone! Well, 4 months turned into 6 and then I started watching another 6 month old full time so it wasn't a good time to listen to a baby cry when he could just have his binky. Finally, 6 months turned into 2 YEARS! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? I set a few dates for myself as times to rid our house of the God forsaken thing and then Carson would get sick. What decent mother takes their kids' binky when they're sick?! So, he had the flu last week and is over it and I decided last night that today was the day! I got up and snipped the ends off of all his pacifiers! (O.k. I kept 2 just in case tonight was a total nightmare.) As we neared toward bedtime, Carson started requesting it. Side note: when your kid can tell you he want's his pacifier, it's probably time to get rid of it! So I let Carson pick his binky out and he looked at it like, "What the heck? Who ate the nipple off?" He then looked back at me and handed it to me, looking for another one. I asked him if it was broken and he nodded so I told him to throw it away and explained to him that the rest were broken too and we had to throw them away.
He did it and got rewarded with a snack which made him happy and he never asked for it again until it was time to go to bed. I then again explained that they were broken and we had to get rid of them. Telling him he was a big boy and didn't need them anymore kind of seemed to help. We went upstairs and brushed his teeth and I put him in bed. There were a few intermittent cries but I never had to get him out of bed so I think (knock on wood) we may be free from the binkys! At least I'm hoping!!!!

1 comment:

Kari Jo said...

thanks, stacy! this gives me hope... i was also dead-set against the paci when eden was born. but i had to give into it when she was almost 3 months old and still wanted to eat every 1-1/2 hours. so now i'm dreading the day i have to take it away. she only uses it to fall asleep and when we are in the car, but i still hate the thing!!! so, thanks for giving me hope that it won't be that bad!