Tuesday, July 7, 2009

One analogy to parenting

Sometimes I think to myself, "How would I describe parenting to someone who did not have kids?" I don't believe there is a single analogy to parenting but here is one of many...

This evening, Brad, the kids and myself, loaded up in the car and went to JP to walk around. I am in need of a new pair of jean shorts as mine are getting too big (a problem I actually love having). We had been into several stores and either could not find a size that fit me or a style that I cared for so we decided to go into Von Maur and then call it a night and go get the some ice cream. When we entered the store, we decided to split up, Brad with Carson and I with Gabby however, Gabby decided to go with the boys. As I browsed the shorts that were left, I needed to ask the store clerk a question so as I was waiting at the counter, I looked over toward the escalator and saw Brad with Carson in his arms and Gabby getting ready to head up the escalator. As I watched, I noticed Brad going up with Carson but Gabby must have gotten nervous and froze up, so instead of getting on, stayed behind.

Next thing I see is Brad turning around and trying, with Carson in his arms to go down the "up" on the escalator. If you've ever tried to do this, you know it's very difficult. Now picture yourself holding a two year old and trying to get back down to your five year old. I found myself laughing to myself until I shook on the outside and then thought, "That is the epitomy of parenting on a bad day." Constantly running, usually with a child on your hip, trying to get to another one and not feeling like you're making any progress! Not all days are like that but yes, many are!

Brad was finally able to get back to the bottom of the escalator and get Gabby and I was enlightened......at his expense! I guess it just goes to show that even the best daddy in the world gets caught running in place sometimes!

No comments: