Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hanging on to summer...

Usually, on September 1, I get up into my attic closet and pull out all of my fall decorations. As I get older, I notice by this time of year, I usually have had enough summer heat that I'm looking forward to sweatshirts and jeans and having a change of scenery. However, that's not the case this year. September 1 came and went last week and I didn't even think about pulling out my pumpkins. Maybe it was the fact that I knew we had a busy weekend and I had my in-laws coming into town and staying with us. I knew I had a house to clean, speech therapy on Friday and then the Tin Caps game on Friday night. Carson has been very "off' lately and required quite a bit of my time and attention so it's been hard to get anything done in short time. In addition, I knew I had to be at church on Sunday to work Children's Ministry. But, I don't think it was the business of my life at all. Let's face it, we've had a very cool summer, not many days that even hit the 90 degree mark and although we had a wonderful summer, I don't think I'm quite ready for the shorter, colder days. Farmer's Almanac is calling for a bitterly cold winter. Whether the almanac is valid or not, the fact of the matter is, we live in Indiana, it IS going to get cold and it IS going to snow here.
As I sat in the chair, rocking Carson tonight and reading books to him, I realized it wasn't even 9:00 yet and it was pitch black outside. While I'm doing a lot better at looking forward to the changing of the seasons now, compared to when I was a kid, I find myself trying to hang on to summer as long as I can. Now where are those pumpkins???

No comments: