Sunday, October 4, 2009

Live Like You were Dying

It's very possible that you have heard the words to the song you hear playing right now. But, have you ever really THOUGHT about the words and what they mean? We're getting ready to dig into this phrase a little more at church over the next four weeks. Brad and I have also joined a small group that will meet once per week to explore this with other couples.
Our sermon today started this series and it was about LIVING like you were dying. One of the verses today was "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12. I thought about this verse and wondered if I do this on a day to day basis. Sometimes I think I rush through each day as if I'm in a hurry to get to the next and yet, I'm never guaranteed tomorrow.
The first point Pastor Stan made was this:
1. Live with a sense of urgency. Live with no regrets! NO REGRETS! This means in what I say to others, how I act not only in public but also at home with those that love me most.

2. Live with a sense of eternity. Sometimes, instead of focusing on what we can have or want here on earth, we need to focus on what we're going to have when we leave this earth. All of our possessions here are temporary. When we get to Heaven, it's FOREVER, FOREVER, FOREVER and nothing that we had here will even matter.

3. Live with a sense of priority. What do I need to put aside? Is it jealousy? Is it hatred toward someone or something? What am I carrying around with me that may not be glorifying God?? I need to drop it now!

Hebrews 9:27-28...."Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgement, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people, and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him."

So join me in this journey and take time to sit down and think about...What would you do if you found out today that you had 28 days to live????
I hope to blog each day about the daily devotion that I am doing and the questions at the end so you too can "live like you were dying!"

No comments: