Since I'm on a roll with the blogging tonight and don't know when I'll next get back to it, thought I'd better give an update on my little boy! For the most part, Carson is doing great. He has mastered the goals of strengthening his fine motor skills and is adapting to change better than he was back in June. We still have a little ways to go but I feel that it will be an ongoing thing with him and will be something we work on each and every day until he's old enough to cope with these things without assistance.
His communication skills have come so far and yet we still have a long way to go! He is now going out to the kitchen when he is hungry and will open the refrigerator and get what he wants out. This sometimes works to my advantage...and sometimes not! He is also climbing up on the cabinets to get things out of the cupboards. My biggest fear is him falling, of course, if I am not aware that he is up there.
In February, Carson will turn 3 and our services with First Steps will end. This will mark a milestone for us and we will look back at our experience as a time where he made many accomplishments. It will be hard to let the therapists go as we have grown to love them and their insight as to what might be going on with Carson but I trust that the next professionals we move on to will do the same for us. I am currently working with the schools to have him evaluated and see if he will qualify for speech services (which I am confident he will). If he does, he will get half hour per week of services which I do not feel is going to be enough for him, nor does his speech therapist so I am seeking out other arrangements in addition to what the school can offer. While his communication is improving, it would be nice if we could all fully understand what he is trying to tell us all the time!
He is an outgoing kid and happy as long as his schedule is not messed with too much. Christmas was somewhat of a challenge as he became overwhelmed in larger groups of people and wanted to retreat to rooms where he could be by himself. He was easily calmed though and was happy to remain in a room by himself if he could watch a movie and come out when he was comfortable. Let's just say we made it work for him and us!
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great that you're seeing some improvements from all the time and work you're putting in. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers through the next year ...
Post a Comment