Well, Monday will begin another chapter. Brad will begin his new career at Medpro. It's been great having him home this week. I had another busy week with cleaning so it was nice to just know that he would be home and take care of things while I went off to work. We even joked that I was the breadwinner this week! As I was "wrapping up and winding down" my job as a "cleaning lady" and preparing for my duties to be cut back, I was reflecting on what I've learned during the last 3 years. So...I'll share.
If you're flexible with people when they are in a bind, they will also be flexible with you.
If you're honest with people up front, there will be much grace given. I once was cleaning behind a t.v. at a house and the t.v. fell out of the stand and broke. I was horrified and didn't know how I was ever going to explain it. So glad it wasn't a flat screen! I didn't want to explain it, but, my client came home for something that day and I faced up to it. She exercised so much grace that it blew me away. Thank you, Pat!
When you clean house for someone, you get to know them, even if you don't always see them. You see the kinds of books they read, you learn their styles and sense of decor. You build a relationship with them and you become attached, even to their kids and pets.
You form meaningful relationships. Your clients trust you to come into their homes and clean for them. They trust that you won't take anything out of their homes that don't belong to you and as you build that trust, they give you more.
If those families decide to move away, you miss them! Even though I knew my time was up for cleaning, I have a family that will be moving to Texas in the next couple of weeks. I have grown to love this family as they are some of the most kind people you will ever meet. I am going to miss them, I already do. Good Luck, Coopers!
If they lose a pet, you mourn the loss. No, not like it was your own pet but after spending hours upon hours with these cute little creatures, following you around the house, when you get the news one day that they are gone, you mourn with the family and it hurts. The first time back in that house is so different.
Not only do these families become important to you, you become important to them. They depend on you to come and clean for them, it gives them peace of mind, knowing they will have a clean house at the end of the day, just like it gave me peace of mind that I would have money to help pay the bills.
I was so blessed to have so many great clients. Each one of them became special to me in one way or another and I will never forget them, but be forever grateful to them for allowing me the opportunity to clean for them.
Saturday, July 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is sweet! :)
Post a Comment