Saturday, April 25, 2009

Different Thoughts and Emotions

Today was a weird day emotionally for me. This morning I got news that a classmate whom I graduated high school with, lost her dad and I think it's fair to say he went suddenly. They still don't know what went wrong. I got news yesterday afternoon through my sister that 2 weeks ago Tom went to the doctor and they thought he had flu. On Thursday or Friday, he called his daughter and asked her to take him to the hospital. She got him there only to find out his kidneys were failing and he was in grave health. This morning, he was gone. This is the second classmate in 6 weeks who has lost a parent and these people are in their middle to upper 50's, I'm guessing...still very young. I feel like as I get older, I notice more and more young people dying and I don't know if it's just because I'm older and more in tune to what's going on or if it really is that more young people are dying. I look at the two grandparent's I still have left and think it must be so hard to be one of a few in each of their circle of friends who still survive. It just breaks my heart. I told Brad today that I don't know why I let it affect me so much but I just think of Tom and remember somewhat knowing him when I was growing up. He was always very nice and friendly, a joker! It's so sad to think that Sabrina has lost him at such a young age for not only her but him! I can't even imagine what that would be like.
Today also marks the 17 year anniversary that I lost my paternal grandfather to cancer. He was 65 and battled that awful disease for about 18 months. I can still remember seeing him in his last days in bed, not really able to talk and just sleeping a lot. We knew it was close to the end and yet you're still never really ready to say good bye. The shock is still always there when it happens. My grandmother is now 83 and is just as spry as ever! I hope to be half the woman she is when I get to be her age! She gets up every morning to walk and still travels! We never know if she's going to be home or not when we're in town but I'm so happy she remains active! I love you, Grandma!
On a higher note, we attended a wedding for one of my cousins today. She was beautiful and they seem very happy together. Jenna has dated Pete for 6 years so I'm guessing they know each other pretty well! I wish them all the best and as I sat at the reception, I was reminded of our own wedding day which we will celebrate in two days. On Monday, Brad and I will have been married for 7 years and this fall will mark 10 years that we have been together. It doesn't seem possible that we have been together for that long! Everyday I love him more for who he is and what he does for our family! God has richly blessed me by putting him in my life!
What a bittersweet day it has been! It really forces me to sit back and examine the way I live my life. I could be gone tomorrow. Am I leaving the impression I want to leave behind? Am I working on it every day that God allows me to live??? I want to leave an impression that will last far longer than my life here on Earth. How about you????

No comments: