Friday, April 30, 2010

Just an update

I thought I should post a little on what we've been doing since our visit to Fort Wayne Neuro a few weeks ago. It feels like the last few weeks have been a complete whirlwind. Our cell phone bill actually went 45 minutes over our plan (I expected it to be much worse) as Brad uses that phone for business and personal and it's also the only phone I have. Many calls were made to different therapists, school officials, etc...to try and get some services around for Carson. It's never an easy process. I must say I still have a couple of places I'm waiting to hear from and I quite honestly haven't had time to sit on hold and wait for them to get to me. I just don't understand how places like this don't think it's necessary to return phone calls. Grr.....

Anyway....I had a case conference with the school this past Monday morning to discuss Carson's progress and also talk about getting him some Occupational Therapy. Turns out, they think he's doing great in the area of speech and don't think he will need any other services this summer. They shared that they will go into his preschool this fall and then let ME know if THEY think he needs any other services from them at that point. I can see that if Carson continues down this road, I will have a long, up hill battle with the school when it comes to him! At one point in his report, it was stated that Carson "is often quiet" during his speech sessions. So, please tell me, how does that translate to "He's doing great! We see no need for him to have any speech therapy this summer." If he's quiet, doesn't that mean he's not talking while he's there? HELLO! When it comes to his speech, I will say that since February, he's definitely "saying" more but he's no easier for me to understand and if you've never met him, you don't have a chance of getting what he's trying to tell you.

So...I had called his ST from First Steps when all of this went down to see if she would be available to work with him this summer as I refuse to not have him in any type of ST. She is so sweet and I was reminded that she works at the fee of $70/hr. which is...how should I say it, way out of our price range but we were willing to at least try something. Even if it meant that she would come once or twice a month and then instruct me on what to do with him on the off weeeks. Well, she stopped by yesterday afternoon to observe him for a little while and we talked about his speech (of course) and what needs to be worked on. She also shared with me that she does not think that Carson has Autism at all and instead feels that he is totally a "Sensory" kid. I go back and forth on this a lot but I also feel that I still see mild signs of autism in him.

So, basically, I'm still making calls and just waiting for June to get here. We had a busy weekend last week with lots of travelling and being gone. It took Carson until Tuesday to sleep through the night again, take a decent nap and not be completely "off" all day. In fact, we didn't even attempt church last week because we knew that he would not be able to function in his class as he hasn't the past several Sundays but especially after being off of his routine. I will say though, once things started getting back to normal for him, he had a really good week. So, we hang on and we wait.

This weekend, mama's doing the travelling and daddy is staying home with the chicks. I'm going with my mom and sister for an overnight getaway in Indy to see some long time friends. I don't think there will be much potty training going on but at this point, I think we all need a little break from it anyway. He doesn't seem to care if he does it or not! Until next time.....

No comments: