So yesterday I got two phone calls about 2 hours apart. They were from Carson's speech therapist and occupational therapist and they both wanted time slots for TODAY! Coinsidentally, I had already scheduled a meeting here at the house with Dustin, our service coordinator so I knew I would be home. So at 10a.m. I met with Dustin, at 12:45 Debbie was here for speech and at 6, Michelle was here for OT. Whew....by the time the kids were in bed, I was exhausted mentally. Here is how it went...
Dustin just came to check in.
Debbie feels that Carson is going to be fine with some speech assistance. She is going to be coming 1-2 times per week from now until February. She said that he has a lot going for himself and is way further ahead than some kids she sees who just sit and look at her, not uttering a single sound. So, I was encouraged by what she had to say. She also left me some great tools to use with him to encourage more speech.
Michelle was great as well. She did some play therapy on the floor with him and explained that she will be working with him on a lot of fine motor skills as she really feels he has a weakness in that area. She is also going to be doing a lot of sensory stuff with him to see how he handles it. She made us feel good as she said she works to rule things out rather than hurry and give a child a "diagnosis" which can sometimes turn into a "label" early in life and then it's hard to get rid of.
Michelle will be coming 1 time per week for now and may pick up services if need be and will also give me things that I can do to work with Carson at home. As it is right now, I strive to take an hour a day with him, usually in the evening, after Gabby goes to bed to work on things and it's going very well. We've seen some improvements in him in just the past 3 weeks so we're encouraged.
I'll keep you posted as things progress! Thanks for reading!
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Therapy can work wonders (however I may be a little biased!) :) Hang in there! Praying for you guys!!
Post a Comment