Tuesday, August 11, 2009

On the other side of Things

We have had a busy, action packed day with home services. Our day started out at 10 a.m. with our service coordinator stopping by to introduce himself and have me sign another paper. As he was here, it was so strange to me. When I graduated college, I spent a few months teaching preschool before I moved on to case management services with The Center For Mental Health in Anderson. I worked with kids who had anything from Autism to Behavioral Problems, in the school but primarily in the home. I was young and many times felt as if the parent's that I was trying to help saw me as young and with little experience but since I was there and they could count on me to show up and work with their kids, they listened.
When Dustin got here today, I took one look at him and guessed him to be around 22...almost 10 years younger than me. I knew he was new with First Steps and hadn't been in the profession long but I have to give him credit, he knew what he was talking about. You could tell he had spent a lot of time studying up and he wasn't arrogant. He admitted up front that he may not always have the answer to my questions but he would work hard to find them. He reminded me a lot of myself when I was working in that profession...young, but willing to work. I was impressed and think he's on the road to many great things.

No comments: