Well, we experienced our third pet death in under 3 weeks, this morning. I don't know why all of a sudden we're having this much trouble, but we are. Last Friday night at about the same time our beloved Nomar passed on, two weeks before, Gabby found one of her fish dead in the tank. While she took this loss MUCH better than the bunny, (and I thought it comical when I text Brad and asked him if he could bury the fish when he got home) it was still sad for her and yet another reality check that death is real and it's premanent. By the way, we flushed the fish.
On Saturday, we went and got another fish because you see, the one that died is the kind that actually did most of the tank cleaning for me. We brought him home and the kids named him "Mr. Swimmy." Well, today is Thursday, five days after we brought "Mr. Swimmy" home and as Carson and I were feeding them this morning, Brad walked into the kitchen and asked how the new fish was doing. I responded by saying, "Oh, he's doing great! He was swimming all over yesterday." At the same exact time I said that, I noticed "Mr. Swimmy" was lying belly up on the bottom of the tank. I knew immediately that was going to mean a fast trip to the store this afternoon to get back and have another one in the tank by the time Miss Gabby got home from school.
As I was putting "Mr. Swimmy" in a ziploc bag and throwing him into the freezer..because, you see, I had a full morning, I didn't want him to stink and I was not paying for another one, Carson asked me, "Mr. Swimmy died?" I responded by saying yes and Carson was over it and skipping out the door to school. So....after I picked him up from school, I rushed home, fed him lunch and called the aquarium store. They were open so I grabbed a sample of water from the tank, our now very cold "Mr. Swimmy" and my son to head off to get "Mr. Swimmy, Part 2." We rush to the store, the lady tests my water, tells me 12 things that are wrong with it and what to do about it. She also sells me $12 worth of stuff, gives me some freebies, including a new "Mr. Swimmy." We leave the store, get in the car and I am bustin it to get home because as luck would have it, the "fish lady" tells me I need to vaccuum my tank and add the new chemicals BEFORE I add the new fish to ensure he doesn't kick the bucket too!
While we're driving home, Carson is saying to me, "We got new "Mr. Swimmy? The other one died?" Yes, Carson, that's right. Carson: "I tell Boppy we got new Mr. Swimmy!" WHOA! Ummm....NO! So, here I am, trying to convince Carson that it's not necessary that we tell Gabby about this. We get home, I have 1 hour to clean the tank, add the chemicals and wait 30 minutes for the chemicals to cycle through before I can add this new fish. During this time, I distract Carson by letting him watch his favorite cartoon, hoping and praying to the aquarium gods that he will forget about the new, improved "Mr. Swimmy" before we bring Gabby home.
I get everything done and I get Mr. Swimmy put into the tank. All the fish are happy and I am one relieved mama! We go to school, get Gabby and come home. Things are going well and I am feeling good. I come into the living room and am laying on the floor with the kids, wrestling around when Gabby says to me, "Mom, I really miss Nomar." At this point, I am gasping inside because I know what's coming, 3-2-1....Carson: We got a new Mr. Swimmy today! Dee udder one died." I lay still, staring into space.
Gabby's response...."Mom, I think he's got Mr. Swimmy mixed up with Nomar."
Me...Sigh..."O. O.k." Thinking to myself, just go with it!
Thursday, September 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What funny kids, that was a cute story!
Post a Comment