Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day

So it's "Earth Day" and the theme color for the day is green. This day is not necessarily one that we get to take day off and celebrate (although the government buildings would probably love that) however, I do think it is a day that is worthy of being observed with some seriousness. I did not grow up in what I would call a very "green and earthy family." We didn't recycle, in fact we burned all of our trash and I remember my mom trying a garden one year and it pretty much turned into a mosquito farm. I don't blame her, I think it was just the weather that year but mom had the garden covered with grass seed that fall.
In this day and age, you hear a lot about global warming and how we need to be doing more to save the earth. There are more ways than one to "skin that cat" so if you are sitting there thinking to yourself, "I just don't have time to recycle", then you are putting forth no effort, my friend. I'm not just talking about recycling. Just this week as I was walking through Target and Wal-Mart, I noticed they now have reusable bags for sale that you can buy and they are not in any way expensive. There are things as small as changing your light bulbs to the energy saving type to as big as purchasing appliances that now save more energy. Not only does it save energy, it saves the green in your pocket. I'm not saying you need to go out and buy new appliances but please look at the small things you can do to make a big difference. If we don't do something now to help out, we will leave this world in a lot worse shape than when we arrived.
I have a new found friend who I met through my MOPS group last fall and she is my "Green Rolemodel" She has found a website that gives a lot of great tips for helping to save the Earth. Here is the link: www.idealbite.com
I am learning more and more and changing my ways as I go. It's not hard, it's just change!

1 comment:

J. Brad said...

I really love how you care about your family and the earth we live on. I share your passion for each. However, I have three recommendations for the city of Huntertown.

1. Pick up the recycling every week, not every 2 weeks.
2. Give us more than a shoe box sized container to put our recycling in.
3. Please give us lids for our shoe box sized containers so that our 30+ plastic milk jugs don't fly all over the neighborhood when there is a slight breeze.

Ok, I am going to stop, I am slowly turning into an old man.


Love ya.