Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gabby's first dentist appt.

Today Gabby had another first....she got to go to the dentist and have her teeth cleaned. This was my first time at a new dentist as well. After several attempts to continue going to my childhood dentist in Nappanee, I decided after having 2 children it was just easier to find one in Fort Wayne. Surely I could find one that I liked just as well as "Dr. Joe." Brad had already checked out Dr. Ellinwood's office last year and loved it so I felt pretty good about where we were going. I must say, I kind of sprung it on her this morning while she was getting dressed as I knew that if I told her days in advance, she would have time to think the worst and it would very likely be an unpleasant experience.
When we arrived, she was a little nervous but was soon playing with the lego table and feeling right at home and of course we had to visit the bathroom within the first 2 minutes of arriving. After they took us back, Gabby got to watch them work on me for a little while and they also let her push the buttons that would take my x-rays so she thought that was pretty cool. When it was time for her to go to her room she got right up and went. As I was encouraging her and wishing her luck from my chair, I thought to myself..."Oh my gosh! She's going by herself and she doesn't even need me. She's not crying or demanding that her mom come along." It was such a bittersweet moment, proud that she was doing it and somewhat sad that she was becoming more independent and doing more on her own.
I feel like before I know it, she will be asking for the car keys and driving down the street by herself, not needing mom to take her anymore. And while I will give it all I've got now to make sure I give her a solid foundation at home before she goes out into the world by herself and will even have days when I will pray for that day to come a little faster, I will cry like a baby when it does!

No comments: